Serve and Volley is a Cologne-based graphic and interaction design studio by Klaus Neuburg and Simon Roth. The studio works interdisciplinary and transmedial, mostly in the fields of society, education and culture. Besides studio projects, Klaus and Simon develop international workshops and media projects with the team of Froh! e.V.
Prof. Klaus Neuburg
has been working in the design field in various disciplines for about 20 years. After studying architecture and working for several years in a visual communications agency, he co-founded Froh! Magazine in 2008. Since 2010 he has been working independently as a designer, publicist and lecturer. He taught as a visiting professor at the HFBK Hamburg (»Klasse Grafik«) and as a substitute professor at the University of Applied Sciences Hamm-Lippstadt. Since 2020, he teaches as a professor for »Media Design with a focus on Interactive Media« at Ostfalia HAW Braunschweig / Wolfenbüttel.
studied communication design at the Hochschule für Gestaltung (HfG) in Karlsruhe. Simon works as a designer since 2012. From 2018 to 2021, he has been teaching conceptual design at the Bergische Universität Wuppertal and communication design at the Ecosign Hochschule in Cologne. He is Art Director and Vice Chairman of the non-profit organisation Froh! e.V. and member of the exhibition space Strizzi. He is also co-founder of the t-shirt label Computer Beach Party.
• Auswärtiges Amt
• BDA – Bund Deutscher Architektinnen und Architekten
• Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
• Bode Museum
• Corps. Verlag
• DVV International
• Froh! e.V.
• Geschichte findet Stadt
• Goethe Institut
• HR Pioneers
• Lenbachhaus München
• n-ost – Netzwerk für Osteuropa-Berichterstattung e.V.
• niggli Verlag
• Reinhard Angelis Architektur
• Simultanhalle Köln
• Süddeutsche Corporate Publishing
• ZKM Karlsruhe
• Z_punkt Corporate Foresight
• Prize Nominee Work, Tokyo Type Directors Club
• 100 beste Plakate
• Eines der 25 schönsten deutsche Bücher, Draussen gehen (Verlag Herrmann Schmidt)
• Honorary Mention, Lahti Poster Triennial
• Lead Award, Froh! 11, Fotograf Simon Rimaz
• International Poster Triennal Toyama (Bronze Award)
• Graphic Design Festival Scotland (3rd Prize)
• Bienal del Cartel Bolivia
• 26th International Poster Competition, Chaumont
• 100 beste Plakate
• Stack Award Shortlist, NOUĂ Magazine
• Golden Bee 11, Moscow Global Biennale of Graphic Design
• Lahti Poster Triennal
• 24th International Poster Biennale Warsaw
• Designpreis der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (nominiert), Froh! Magazin
• Red Dot Design Award, Froh! Magazin
was launched as a »magazine for the good society« in 2008 and since then has readers all over Europe. Since 2013, the editorial and design work has developed into the workshop series »Publish Yourself!«, which supports young designers and publicists in making their message accessible to the public. These workshops, which take place primarily in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Germany, produce print and online publications as well as immersive exhibitions.